The Laoag Clergy

NEW BLOGSITE!

Visit St. Anthony of Padua Parish, Marcos, Ilocos Norte.

The CHRONOS: Monthly Diocesan Schedule for FEBRUARY 2009

July 26: Laoag's foundation anniversary and St. Anne Parish fiesta

Today, the Diocese of Laoag celebrates her 48th birthday. Today, too, is the launching of activities in commemoration of the diocese's golden anniversary in 2011.

Let us pray for our diocese. Let us pray for the increase of faith and the deepening of love and commitment to God and the Church.

Happy fiesta to the Piddiguenos!

Click here to read CBCP news on the launching.

July 25: Fiesta greetings!

Today is the feast of St. James the Greater.

Happy fiesta to our brothers and sisters in Solsona and Pasuquin!

Cadaratan Church: A Miracle in Progress

Cadaratan Church: A Miracle in Progress

The Dream Church of Our Lady of Fatima Parish, Cadaratan, Bacarra, Ilocos Norte

The Dream Church of Our Lady of Fatima Parish, Cadaratan, Bacarra, Ilocos Norte

Foundation for the church-construction project in Cadaratan, Bacarra put up!

The construction of the OUR LADY OF FATIMA PARISH CHURCH started anew, September 8, the birthday of Mama Mary. Very crucial in this project is the financial consideration being tacked by the whole parish community. To address this concern, we, the Parish Pastoral and Finance Councils, together with our newly-appointed parish priest, Rev. Leonardo L. Ruiz, planned to put up a FOUNDATION for the continuation and completion of the construction of the parish church.

The Foundation is chaired by our beloved Bishop, Most Rev. Sergio L. Utleg, D.D. and the members of the Board include Victor R. Bolosan, M.D., Rosalina R. Javier, Flordelina T. Cadelina, Eugenia M. Mendoza, Emilia B. Agonoy and Dante Subia, all from Our Lady of Fatima Parish.

Registration of the Foundation with the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) is under way.

Architects and Engineer: Arch. Coleen Cajigal and Arch. Joemar Bolosan, Engr. Eduardo Cid.

FINANCIAL ASSISTANCE IS NEEDED. For those who wish to send their donations directly through the bank, this is our bank: PHILIPPINE NATIONAL BANK, Batac Branch, Batac, Ilocos Norte, Philippines. DOLLAR ACCOUNT NUMBER: 158881300038; Account Name, Most Rev. Sergio L. Utleg, D.D., Victor R. Bolosan, M.D. and Flordelina T. Cadelina. PESO CHECKING ACCOUNT: 158881300020, with the same above-mentioned account name.

The Happy Priests

The Happy Priests
The clergy during their annual retreat with Bp. Mylo Vergara of the Diocese of San Jose, Nueva Ecija as retreat master at Betania Retreat House in Baguio City, November 10-13

HELP BUILD THE CHURCHES OF OUR YOUNG PARISHES!

ST. JOHN BOSCO (BARESBES, DINGRAS)
ST. JOSEPH THE WORKER (CARASI)
ST. FRANCIS OF ASSISI (DAVILA, PASUQUIN)
OUR LADY OF FATIMA (CADARATAN, BACARRA)
ST. ROSE (STA. ROSA, SARRAT)

OUR MOTHER OF PERPETUAL HELP (PANCIAN, PAGUDPUD)

For financial assistance or donations in-kind, please contact the Bishop or the Curia at (077)770-5210, or Fr. Lorenzo Torreflores (Baresbes, Dingras) at 0917-5701085, Fr. Danny Devaras (Carasi) at 0920-5537806, Fr. Lester Menor (Davila, Pasuquin) at 0915-7879701, Fr. Leo Ruiz (Cadaratan, Bacarra) at (077)670-3801, and Fr. Anthony Dimagiba (Sta. Rosa, Sarrat) at (077)782-2031, Fr. Antonio Calautit, SVD (Pancian, Pagudpud) at 0918-5228902.


Listen to DZEA-CMN Radio Totoo, 909 khz!

Pray for your priests. They need your prayers as much as you need theirs.

Pray for your priests. They need your prayers as much as you need theirs.
The clergy of Laoag with the lone cardinal of Thailand and the bishop of Changmai

San Nicolas Parish History

Patron: ST. NICHOLAS OF TOLENTINE
Founded in 1584


The beautiful church of San Nicolas de Tolentino Parish speaks of the numerous people who kept the Catholic faith alive despite the turmoil of the past 400 years brought about by calamities that destroyed the church building and by the Aglipayan schism, which threatened the Christian community.

The community began as a visita of Vigan in 1575. Every year, an Augustinian missionary visited this community of Malay origin that settled south of the Padsan River. Under the patronage of St. Lawrence the Deacon, the first chapel of bamboo and cogon was built for the visita. This was replaced with a small church of masonry, wood and cogon. But this was soon destroyed by earthquake and typhoons.

In 1701, Fray Antonio de Villanueva constructed a bigger and more massive church about half the size of the present one. This construction was completed in 1703 only to be toppled down by a strong earthquake on November 14, 1707.

In 1733, a strong typhoon ravaged Ilocos Norte, and many of the townspeople took refuge in the church. They asked for the help of St. Lawrence, but the typhoon did not stop. Later, they turned to St. Nicholas of Tolentino, and the typhoon and ensuing flood miraculously subsided. This was the time that the town and the parish took the name of St. Nicholas of Tolentino.

In 1895, the church belfry was constructed under the leadership of Fray Victoriano Garcia, himself an architect and an engineer. Molasses was mixed with lime as a strengthening chemical for the stones and bricks.

During the revolution of 1898, the Katipuneros occupied the church. A year later, the American forces took over the church and used it as headquarters. However, the U.S. government ordered that churches be vacated by military forces. Gregorio Aglipay, together with renegade priests, took this opportunity to take over the church. Majority of the Catholics in the town embraced the Aglipayan Church. However, the Supreme Court decreed that the sequestered properties of the Catholic Church be returned by the Aglipayan rebels. The building was returned, but its records and movable properties could not be retrieved anymore.

During World War II, the church was occupied by Japanese forces, and its belfry became a watching post. After the war, Rev. Catalino Racca started the repairs of the church.

Before the turn of the millennium, the church fa├žade and belfry went through a major facelift. New bells were added to the old set. Today, the parish boasts of having the only automated belfry in Ilocandia.

In 2004, the church underwent yet another makeover. But more than the physical transformation which is immediately palpable is the fervor of the faithful to wield greater zeal and strength of spirit to renew and be renewed and courageously walk the stretch ahead. Moreover, the faithful, motivated by their pastors, are invigorated with the spirit of charity and unity that fires up their hearts and spurs them on to do what they can for the good of the Church. Now, all they have to do is stay on course.

Since the creation of Laoag as a diocese, the following priests have served in the parish: Rev. Catalino Racca, Rev. Mauro Resurrecion, Rev. Juan Ballesteros, Rev. Policarpo Albano, Rev. Sylvio Lacar, Rev. Gil Albano, Jr., Rev. Rodolfo Nicolas, Rev. Amador Foz, Rev. Domingo Albano, Rev. Jose Agustin, Rev. Ruben Abaya (with Rev. Rey Magus Respicio then Rev. Engelbert Elarmo as assistants), Rev. Mario Garaza (with Rev. Joel Reynold Castillo then Rev. Nolasco "Tom" Pascua, Jr. then Rev. Lorenzo Torreflores as assistants), Rev. Ramon Danilo Laeda (with Rev. Melchor Palomares as assistant).

No comments:

CATECHETICAL AND MISSION OFFICE: Outreach in Adams, October 29, 2008

CATECHETICAL AND MISSION OFFICE: Diocesan Catechetical Day, September 20, 2008, Part 1 (2)

CATECHETICAL AND MISSION OFFICE: Diocesan Catechetical Day, September 20, 2008, Part 2 (2)

COM. ON THE CLERGY & OFF. ON CH. HERITAGE: Convocation (Playa Tropical, Currimao, Aug.18-20, 2008)